Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Some April Moon Ramblings...

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
April Moon 14 is a daily writing challenge hosted by Kat McNally with a new word for each day to reflect on. I've been trying to keep up but living one day behind, geographically speaking, has been a challenge! However, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on some of the prompts that have been calling to me..

TEXTURE
What feelings does this word evoke? What sorts of memories does it recall? Which of your senses start to tingle? How would you represent what this word means to you?

I love, love, LOVE texture! I love the feel of fabrics in my hands and the feel of foods as I eat them, but I think I love the textures that can be found in LIFE best of all...









WILD
What feelings does this word evoke? What sorts of memories does it recall? Which of your senses start to tingle? How would you represent what this word means to you?

THIS is what I call a loaded word...

Being an artist implies that one is innately wild, not to be controlled, not to be tamed.

No one is comfortable with the wild, the uncontrollable and the untamed, which are the things that the word ARTIST conjures up, much to my chagrin. Because of this connotation, it has taken me a VERY LONG TIME to verbally claim myself to be an Artist. It was easy to claim to myself that I am an Artist since no one else could get inside my head, but if I uttered the words "I am an Artist", oh, the looks I would get! Do you get them too?

Those looks from people who become wary when you tell them you are an Artist, who look at you sideways as if you will just cut off your ear for art (or maybe you will cut off THEIR ear for art!!) or worry that you might begin screaming like a banshee, because that is what WILD things do - they do wild and crazy things with no warning, acting ON INSTINCT, which is is definitely NOT what civilized people do...

It's my personal theory that many people are just not comfortable with the concept of WILD, not comfortable with the uncontrollable and the untamed and it is my personal belief that this is why many people resist giving in to their natural impulse to create, TO BE ARTISTS, even if it only to the artist of their own lives. They are AFRAID that they will become unglued and WILD, unable to return to their state of civility, a state of being that I know they have worked hard at, because it really is a lot of HARD WORK to sublimate your natural tendencies, especially when those tendencies are to CREATE.

But I think it's more dangerous to stifle one's CREATIVITY than it is to be an ARTIST. And I think this quote really sums this up for me:

"...creating art...keeps us balanced by creating joy in place of stress, beauty in place of ambiguity"
Cherie Haas, Editor at Cloth Paper Scissors online

And to this I would say that I create to keep the insanity at bay!

YEARNING 
What feelings does this word evoke? What sorts of memories does it recall? Which of your senses start to tingle? How would you represent what this word means to you?

This word is tugging at me.

I have been doing a lot lately, continuing to carve out a creative career for myself and it's been a lot of work.

I've also felt a level of isolation lately since I don't know many folks who are attempting self-employment or creative entrepreneurship and I feel like I have no one to talk with about my struggles.

I have been feeling the need for a vacation but this idea is some ways off...and the idea of finding like-minded creative entrepreneurs also feels like a distant dream, but I will keep thinking of them both and know that each one will reach me when the time is right...in the meantime, viewing my photos of Ventura will feel like a vacation! ;)







2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

aren't there any art groups by you? finding the angeles crest art guild for me, has been one of the best experiences ever!it really is awesome talking to like minded people trying to make it in the art world!

Kat McNally said...

You are so right: texture, wildness and yearning are part of an artist's DNA. I hope you find your [in real life] kindreds soon. xx